Job Misrepresentation

Several years ago, I entered into the field of higher education with a dream of changing lives. I wanted to leave things better than I found it, and I wanted to do things that really mattered. And I did that for a few years. I worked with college students, responded to 2:00 AM emergencies, and slowly died on the inside.

I needed out a lifestyle that demanded constant responsiveness and exhaustion.

As I exited my ten year plan around year three, I found a new routine. I was offered a job where I could keep all the things I liked about my field and disregard the functions that chipped away at my joy.

Or so I thought.

I am months, nearly a year, into my new role. I quickly learned the interviews preceding my offer were misleading. A job I believed would allow me to create, innovate, and transform turned out to be a job that expects a body, not a mind, at a desk. I was led to believe this role would keep me busy and on my toes, allowing me to grow in new ways as a professional. Instead, the phone rings only to be transferred to someone else, and visitors are few and far between

The moments I had so longed for - freedom from an on-call phone, weekends without required events, and owning a pet - have arrived, but I am bound in a new way. Water stopped flowing, and my life is stagnant.

I am not searching for a fulfilling career, but I am journeying to find fresh water.

Join me as I seek.

Comments